What Are the Requirements for SR22 Insurance?

We’ve previously covered the answer to the question ‘what is SR22 insurance?’—today we look at the specific requirements of each state. As a primer, it’s important to understand that the SR22 and related form FR44 are not insurance policies per se. They’re just forms which prove future financial responsibilities for drivers and/or owners who have been found in violation of various regulations. In most states, these include DUIs, drug-related charges, felonies, car-related manslaughter and/or property damages, as well as driving without auto insurance. In the following, we take a look at SR22 requirements in each state, as well as at several other specifics of this type of coverage.

What is FR44 insurance?

In a nutshell, the FR44 is just like the SR22. The main differences are that

  • The FR44 is only required in a couple of states, namely Florida and Virginia;
  • The FR44 has higher coverage limits.
  • The FR44 is typically required after DUI violations, while, in the states where it exists, the SR22 is mainly used in cases of driving without auto insurance.

Find details on when you need the FR44 in Florida and Virginia right below. Aside from the specifics mentioned for each state you should also know that:

  • In Virginia, the FR44
    • needs to be purchased by the specific driver who committed the violation(s) which mandate this type of financial responsibility proof;
    • suspends the driver’s rights to drive, register cars in Virginia, and/or decal their car in the state.
  • In Florida
    • repeat DUI offenses will not raise the minimum coverage levels mandated by FR44 legislation.

As is the case with the SR22, the FR44 needs to be maintained for 36 months (3 years) after the DUI conviction. However, it’s usually a good idea to contact the courts in your state or the DMV to find out what the requirements are in your particular case.

State-by-state requirements for SR22 insurance

As of this writing, several US states enforce no known requirements for SR22 insurance. They are: Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

As for those who do enforce specific regulations and requirements, here are the details, in a state-by-state breakdown:


In Alabama, drivers need to have SR-22 insurance if they’ve had their license suspended for safety responsibility. This is the case if you’ve been involved in a car accident while uninsured but didn’t fully compensate the injured party. It also applies if your license got suspended through unsatisfactory judgment, if you’re under mandatory insurance supervision, or have been classified as a high risk driver. This is usually the case for those who’ve committed DUIs.

To file for the SR-22 in Alabama, you need to pay a processing fee through a state-approved agency—be aware that this fee will vary from one agency to the next. You can get a quote, or ask for an automatic filing via Esurance. The minimum coverage is $20,000 for one human casualty or fatality, $40,000 for two or more such cases, and $10,000 for property damage. This application will be submitted via your agency of choice to the Department of Public Safety.

In Alabama, you need to maintain SR-22 insurance for at least 36 months, going up to 5 years. Usually, if you don’t commit any further infractions, the obligation for carrying SR22 insurance will be dropped after 3 full years. An alternative to this is to file a surety bond, or a court-approved real estate bond of min. $50,000.

For Alabama DMV information, click here. You can also find the full text of the law here.


In Alaska, you can apply for SR22 insurance as both an owner and a non-owner, under the provisions of bill AS 28.30.230. When you apply for drivers’ license reinstatement, you need SR-22 insurance filing proof dated within the past 30 days, or the copy of your SR-22 insurance binder. In most cases, you’ll need to carry this kind of insurance for at least three years after you’ve had your license revoked. Different rules apply to DWI offenders and those convicted for Refusal, who need to carry such insurance for 5 years after their first offense, 10 after the second one, and 20 after the third one. If it’s your fourth offense, you need to carry it for life—this also applies to unsatisfied judgment convictions.

For more info email the DMV at doa.dmv.jds@alaska.gov, or check out this page.


In Arizona, you don’t need proof of future financial responsibility you you’ve had your license suspended for a fine, a failure to appear in court, or a suspension by the MVD, not ordered by a court (applies to DUIs on their first suspension). In these cases, all you need to do is:

  • Pay off all your court penalties;
  • Get a court clearance receipt, or Court Abstract;
  • Pay $10 in reinstatement fees at the DMV, as well as an application fee. If the DMV has your photo on record, you can apply online.

Application fees for license reinstatement are $10 for drivers 50 and older, $15 for those aged 45 to 49, $20 for those ages 40 to 44 and $25 for drivers aged 39 and below.

If you’ve been convicted in court for a DUI, refused to take or failed a drug/alcohol test, or violated auto insurance laws, you’ll need an SR-22. Driving without it can get your car impounded for up to thirty days. An alternative to this type of insurance is a certificate of at least $40,000 in cash or deposit certificated from the Office of Treasurer in Arizona. You’ll need to maintain this type of insurance for at least 3 years.

Check out the full information here.


According to California’s SB597 (2005), starting with January 1, 2007, all DUI violations appear on your record for 10 years. Other violations, such as ‘wet’ reckless driving will report for 7 years on your public driving record, though they’ll only be reported to court for 10 years. If your insurer reports to the DMV that your policy has been suspended, you need to apply for new coverage within 45 days, or risk having your registration suspended. Also, you’ll need to file for a California Insurance Proof Certificate for your license. Drivers who cannot afford this can also apply for CAARP (California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan), by calling 1-800-622-0954.

When convicted of a DUI in California, you need to wait for a particular number of days (DUI probation includes attending DUI school and having your license revoked for 6 months to 4 years) before applying for a license reinstatement. Then, the DMV can issue a restricted license for first offenders, if and only if:

  • You’ve attended DUI school;
  • Filed for an SR22;
  • Paid the $15 license restriction fee and the $125 license reissue fee.

The same rules apply to repeat offenders, but also include the mandatory use of an IID (ignition interlock device). Depending on your age and driving history, a California SR22 can cost from $300 to $800. Some companies also charge a $25 to $50 fee for applying for an SR22. You must maintain the insurance policy for at least 36 months after you’ve had your license suspended.

Get the full info from the California DMV here.


To get your license reinstated after a suspension or revocation in Colorado, you’ll need to apply for an SR-22, as well as to buy liability insurance. Get the SR-22 rider when you buy your new insurance policy and then file it with the Colorado DMV. You can deliver it at 1881 Pierce St. in Lakewood, Colorado, or mail it together with DR 280 (the Application for Reinstatement). You’ll need to maintain the SR-22 for 5 years after having your license suspended for a DUI, DWAI arrest, reckless driving, and several other types of offenses.

Official information from the Colorado DMV can be found here.


In Delaware, you need minimum insurance of $15,000 for bodily injuries to one person, $30,000 for injuries to all persons involved, and $10,000 for property damage. If you drive without insurance, expect to pay $1,500 in penalties as a first offenders and $3,000 is you’re a repeat offender.

According to new legislation, Delaware no longer requires SR22 insurance for DUI convictions. Find the full text of Delaware’s former SB#129 here, for more information on Delaware SR-22 insurance.


In Florida, like in many other places, you need insurance against both personal injury liability and property damage. The minimum coverage amounts are $10,000 per person for bodily injury, $20,000 per crash, $10,000 for property damage liability per crash, and personal injury protection of $10,000 per crash. If caught driving without insurance in Florida, you’ll require to make proof of being covered with an SR22 in the future. If you get your license suspended for alcohol-related offenses, you’ll need a FR44.

Normally, you need n SR22 for 3 years, but a judge can order you to keep it for 2 years only. Conversely, in DUI cases, judges can order you to make proof of the certificate for longer. The FLHSMV (Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles) can ask for such proof when your coverage gets canceled, or when you’ve been involved in a crash with no insurance. Other reasons involve registering a new vehicle and having your license suspended in curt.

Official information from the Florida DMV can be found at this page.


Georgia is one of the twelve U.S. states which enforce a no-fault insurance system. This means your insurer will pay for your damages. Minimum insurance requirements in the state are $25,000 per person for bodily injury liability, $50,000 for all persons involved in the crash, and $25,000 for property damage.

You can get Operator (non-owner) SR-22 insurance in Georgia, as well as Owner’s Certificates and certificates for Operator-Owners. You will likely require such a form if you were caught driving without insurance, were found guilty of a DUI, or refused to submit to a breathalyzer test. Reckless driving and other mandatory insurance supervision offenses also warrant the obligation of having an SR22.

Then, you need to apply for an SR22, or SR-22A through your insurer. You’ll need to pay for a form filing processing fee and, in the case of an SR-22A, pay the whole premium in full an upfront. You need to maintain the SR-22 for at least 3 years and renew it within 15 days of its expiration (or risk have your driving record suspended).

Find more information on Georgia SR22 requirements at this page.


If you’re involved in a major car crash in Hawaii, you’ll first need to buy the copy of the police report from the Police Records Division. This occurs after you receive an order of security requirement, or notice that your license has been suspended. If you were insured at the time of the accident, you’ll need to contact your insurance company and ask them for assistance in submitting the SR-21 form.

If, conversely, you receive an order of requirement for proof of financial responsibility or drivers’ license suspension, you’ve been convicted in traffic court. In some such cases, you’ll need to file an SR-22 form. Your insurer can also provide you with more information in this situation, too.

Maui County provides further information here and you can also access this document for more info.


Idaho legislation makes auto insurance mandatory when registering a vehicle. Minimum covered amounts are $25,000 per person per body injury, $50,000 for the whole crash, and $15,000 for property damage. You’ll need an SR-22 if your license has been suspended because of a lack of insurance while driving, have a poor driving record, or have been mandated to undergo insurance inspection.

To take out an SR-22 in Idaho, you need to contact your coverage provider. Your SR22 filing form will then be forwarded to the DMV, in a matter of 30 days. Then, if the application is approved, you’ll get the SR-22 from your insurer, as well as an informative letter from the DMV. No-insurance first offenders need to maintain their SR-22 for 12 months, while those who are found on their second violation in 5 years will need to maintain it for 36 months.


In Illinois, you need an SR22 if you’ve been suspended for safety responsibility reasons, unsatisfied judgments, license , three or more insurance violation convictions, and mandatory insurance supervision. Submit a Financial Responsibility Certificate, alongside an SR-22 application to your insurer. Upon receiving your application your insurer will ask for the central office of their agency to release you an SR-22 certificate. This will then be forwarded to the Secretary of State, after a maximum of 30 days of processing.

When receiving the SR22, you’ll also get a letter from the Secretary of State. You will need to maintain this proof of financial responsibility for at least 3 years after your suspension and renew it at least 45 days before it expires. If you don’t renew your insurance, your agency will have to inform the office of the Secretary of State.


There are several forms and documents attesting to financial responsibility as a driver (owner or non-owner) in Indiana:

  • COC (Certificate of Compliance). If you’ve been involved in an accident in the past, you need this document to prove you were insured.
  • Affidavit (State Form 55434). If involved in an accident while driving a rented vehicle or one provided by your employer, the administrator of the company in question will need to fill in this form.
  • SR-22. If your drivers’ license has been suspended because you were driving without insurance, or were found guilty of a DUI, you need to maintain an SR-22 for 3 to 5 years. You can also submit this form when filing for an SR50, in order to have your driving privileges reinstated.
  • SR26. As is the case in many other states, this is the form filed by your coverage provider to the BMV (Bureau of Moving Vehicles), to notify them that your auto insurance has been canceled.
  • SR50. This is the form you need to supply as proof of current insurance—it is interchangeable with the SR22 for this purpose.
  • Reinstatement fee submission form. This is sent to you by the BMV, when applying for reinstatement of your driving privileges.

Other forms and documents in use in Indiana include the SR-16 (sent by the court to the BMV to inform them that you have failed to appear for a citation or have been convicted). The SR-17 grants you conditioned, specialized, or probationary driving privileges and is also submitted by the court to the BMV. Finally, the SR-33 is a form the court submits to the BMV to notify the Bureau that you have failed to pay damages as a result of an accident.

For official information, check out this page.


You will need to file for an SR22 in Iowa if you’ve committed a car accident in the past and failed to pay compensation, if there’s unsatisfactory judgment issued against you, if your license has been revoked, if you’ve accumulated 6 or more points over 2 years or committed the same number of moving violations over that span of time, or if you’ve been found guilty of DUI or driving while otherwise intoxicated. The minimum insurance requirements in Iowa are 20/40/15 and you need to file for an SR22 even if you’re from out-of-state.

To apply for the SR22 you need to contact an authorized agency, which will help you prepare the form. You can then submit it through the agency, or handle the submission yourself, and send it to the Office of Driver Services of the Iowa Department of Transportation. Iowa laws require you to maintain the SR22 for at least 24 months.


In Louisiana, you can get a hardship license, if your drivers’ privileges have been suspended, but you need to drive in order to maintain your livelihood. In most cases, obtaining such a license will require the installation of an IID. Bear in mind that the state of Louisiana has a list of accepted IID manufacturers listed on the site of its DPS.

If you’ve committed any of the following violations, you can receive a hardship license with no need for IID installation:

  • School bus violation;
  • Failure to pay child support;
  • Unlawful use of a vehicle;
  • Driving without a license (DUI excluded).

For the following violations, you will require an IID:

  • DUI;
  • Car accident resulting in bodily injuries;
  • Refusal to submit to an intoxication test;
  • Failing an intoxication test.

To receive a hardship license, you’ll need to file for an SR22 and apply with the SR22 binder (valid for 90 days only) or the form itself. You’ll also need a recommendation letter from support services, employer documentation (to show you need to drive an employer’s vehicle without an IID), an IID lease and installation contract, as well as a court order.

For official information on hardship licenses from the Louisiana DPS, check out this page.


You will need to take out SR22 insurance if:

  • Your car insurance has been suspended. Bear in mind that insurers in the state of Maine can cancel any policy within the first 60 days of them coming into effect, so long as the reasons for cancellation are legal (e.g.: it’s illegal to suspend a driver’s insurance on the sole basis of their age).
  • You’ve fled the scene of an accident you were involved in;
  • You have too many points on your license;
  • You have been found guilty of a DUI violation.

The minimum insurance requirements in Maine are 50/100/25. An SR22 is usually mandatory for 36 months from the suspension of your driving privileges. During this time, you must make sure not to have any lapses in insurance. You can switch insurers in those three years, but make sure to have the new policy in place before canceling the older one.

The Bureau of Insurance with the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation in the State of Maine has more info on the SR22 here.


In Missouri, violating the Mandatory Insurance Law can have your driver license suspended in the following cases:

  • Failing to pay damages after you’ve been found guilty in a case of a car accident. To get your license back, you’ll need to prove that you’ve paid the damages in full (or have a court-backed installment plan), pay a $20 reinstatement fee, and bring in an SR22 filing. This also applies to out-of-state cases, which also require a reinstatement/clearance letter from the other state. You need to maintain the SR22 for two years.
  • Failing to file an accident report for a crash which involved an uninsured vehicle, within 10 days of the incident. In this case, you need to file a Motor Vehicle Accident Report (Form 1140) and pay $20 in reinstatement fees.
  • Failing to pay car accident damages. You’ll need to submit an installment agreement or proof of payment (notarized), as well as $20 for reinstatement.
  • False insurance claim. In this situation, your driving license will be suspended for a year. Before the suspension period ends, send in a copy of your insurance ID card, plus $150 in reinstatement fees.
  • Driving without insurance or failing to show proof of insurance when mandated by the Department of Revenue. To be reinstated, you’ll need to make proof of liability insurance. If an accident was also involved, you will not be eligible without an SR22 filing, which you need to maintain for 3 years from the date your eligibility was restored. You will also need to pay a reinstatement fee, as follows: $20 for first-time offenders, $200 for a second offense, $400 for third or subsequent offenses.

The Missouri Department of Revenue has more information on mandatory insurance at this page.


Montana laws require SR22s of drivers found driving under the influence, without insurance, or who have had their license revoked. Similarly, unpaid accident compensations, unpaid unsatisfactory judgment claims, mandatory insurance supervision, and drivers with 3 or more insurance violations on their track record all require an SR22.

You can file for one with your state-approved insurer, who will relay the SR22 filing to the Secretary of State. Expect it to be processed within 30 days. You will need to maintain the SR22 for 36 months. Alternatively, you can prove your future financial responsibility with your insurance card, surety bonds from 2 individual real estate sureties in the state, a $55,000 cash or security deposit with the State treasury, and/or a self-insurance certificate issued by the DMV for owners of over 25 vehicles.


According to Nebraska laws, you need to apply for an SR22 immediately after you’ve been convicted for the violations explained below. If you live out-of-state, you will need to submit the SR22 filing to the Nebraska DMV directly from the Home Office of your insurer, accompanied by a Cover/Authorization letter. The letter needs to bear the letterhead of said home office and be signed by an authorized representative.

In order to become eligible for reinstating your driving privileges, you need to meet the following criteria on the day your suspension expires, based on the violations you’ve committed:

  • Suspension for accumulating too many drivers license points. For 12 or more points amassed during 2 years, you’ll need to have the SR22 on record for 36 months.
  • For being found driving without insurance, you will need the SR22 for 3 years.
  • For having your license revoked through a court order, you will need the SR22 for 3 years.
  • For having your license suspended after an accident, you will need the SR22 on file when your license is eligible for reinstatement.
  • For having your license suspended after a civil lawsuit, you will need the SR22 on record when the suspension is over.
  • For failing to pay accident damages (court ordered), you will need the SR22 on record when the license suspension is over.
  • For hardship licensing (employment purposes) you will need the SR22 until your permit expires.

For more information on Nebraska SR22 requirements, go to the state’s DMV website.


In Nevada, you can have your license revoked for several reasons: 12 or more demerit points accumulated within 12 months, DUIs, bicyclist or pedestrian accidents, failure to appear in court when cited for a fine (or a failure to pay the fine), lack of liability insurance, failure to pay child support, graffiti violations, juvenile firearm violations, unauthorized street racing, juvenile drug possession and/or use.

In some of the above scenarios, you will also be required to prove future financial liability with an SR22 filing. This will need to be on record for three years. Should you fail to maintain it, not only may you have your privileges revoked, but also start the three-year requirement again. Note that the DMV doesn’t inform drivers on when they become eligible for removing the SR22.

More information from the Nevada DMV is available at this link.

New Hampshire

In New Hampshire, you’ll need to maintain the SR22 for three years from your conviction or the administrative decision taken against you which mandated the filing. In case of repeat DUI offenses, it’s 3 years from the date you become eligible to reinstate your driving privileges again. Even out-of-state residents are required to file for SR22 forms in New Hampshire and non-owners can file for an Operator SR22 Certificate of Insurance.

For more information on New Hampshire SR22 requirements, check out this page, by the New Hampshire Department of Safety DMV.

North Dakota

If you’re out of state in North Dakota and found guilty of a violation that requires an SR22, you may usually make proof of insurance with your out-of-state insurance card. However, it’s always good to check with your provider. In any event, you will be mandated to prove your future financial responsibility if:

  • Found guilty of a DUI, after using alcohol or drugs;
  • Refusing to take a breathalyzer test or similar chemical tests;
  • Driving without a license and/or registration;
  • Driving without insurance.

North Dakota also has a short mandatory on-record span for the SR22: only 12 months.


Car insurance is mandatory in Ohio, so failing to make proof of it will make you lose your right to drive and hold vehicle registration cards. If this is your first offense, you’ll only be suspended until you pay the reinstatement fee and file for the SR22. The suspension lasts one year for second-time offenders and two years for third-time offenders. First time offenders need to maintain the SR22 in place for 3 years, while repeat offenders have a 5 year limit. Reinstatement fees will vary on a case-to-case basis. Surrendering your license, registration, and license plates within a specific span of time will reduce your fee by $50.

SR22/bond filings are processed within 24 hours, if filed online, and within 72 hours to 5 business days, if filed as paper copies. If the state of Ohio mandates you to retain an SR22, you must comply and apply in Ohio, even if you live out-of-state.

Click here for detailed information on license suspension and reinstatement, from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.


In Oregon, several entities can release an SR22 certificate: a risk retention group, a surplus lines insurer, or a licensed insurance company. These are the situations in which Oregon laws require you to take out such a certificate

  • Driving without insurance – effective as of date of conviction;
  • Failing to make proof of insurance to the DMV, as part of Oregon’s Mandatory Insurance Certification Program – effective 60 days after the DMV sent its first letter to the registered owner;
  • Being involved in a car accident without insurance – effective as of the date of the accident;
  • DUII or reckless driving – effective as of the suspension end date.
  • Applying for a hardship/probationary license – effective as of application date, stops on permit end date.

Even if you live in another state, but are mandated by the state of Oregon to hold an SR22, you must still apply for such a certificate in Oregon. And, anyway, chances are your driving privileges will be suspended if you don’t have a required SR22 in another state.

Here’s more detailed information on SR22 regulations in this state, from the Oregon DMV.

Rhode Island

What’s different about car insurance in Rhode Island is that, aside from the mandatory liability coverage, all policies must also offer uninsured motorist coverage. Since some 15% of all the cars in this state are uninsured, this is a helpful option. The minimum coverage thresholds in RI are the same as in many other states: 25/50/25,

You will need an SR22 in Rhode Island if you’ve had your license and/or registration suspended or revoked, due to any of the following offenses or violations:

  • Accidentally killed someone in a car crash;
  • Were found driving under the influence (DWI, DUI);
  • Committed a car-related felony;
  • Committed a hit-and-run;
  • Committed perjury to the MVD;
  • Were found in violation of reckless driving regulations 3 times in one year;
  • Bought alcohol with a fake license;

If you have no other convictions, you may be released from your SR22 requirement after one year. To be released from carrying an SR22 in Rhode Island, you need to call Operator Control, at (401) 462-0800.

For official information on car insurance, check out these FAQs answered by the Division of Motor Vehicles with the Department of Revenue in the State of Rhode Island.

South Carolina

South Carolina has several insurance options for motorists: minimum liability coverage and uninsured motorist coverage both come with the same minimum limits (25/50/25). Furthermore, you can pay a yearly fee of $550 to the DMV to register as an uninsured motorists.

The SR22 form is regarded as an insurance penalty in South Carolina and, as is the case in most other states, it’s a guarantee for future financial liability. You will need it if you’ve committed a DUI offense, were found driving without a license, insurance, or uninsured motorist registration, or without proof of an SR22 (where applicable). You need to keep the SR-22 in place for three years and renew it 45 days before it expires during that time.

South Dakota

In South Dakota, you require an SR22 if you’ve committed a DWI violation, were found driving without insurance, failed to pay court-ordered damages, committed homicide while driving, or committed two reckless driving offenses within the course of the same year. For the following 36 months, the state will need proof that you are now insured. Non-owners need to apply for non-owner/operator insurance policies. Also, this applies for any and all classes of driving licenses you own, even if you don’t own the respective vehicles (Class 2, A3, B3, C3). If you don’t want to keep paying for two or more types of vehicles, you need to change your driving license before filing for the SR22.

It is the driver’s responsibility to inform the state they require an SR22. Furthermore, if you switch insurers during those 3 years, you need to make sure your agency files for an SR22 in your name. Once you become eligible for reinstatement, you need to apply at a drivers’ exam station, pay reinstatement fees, and pass some mandatory tests.

For official SR22 information from the South Dakota Department of Public Safety, click here.


Here are the main reasons (and respective legal provisions) which require you to take out an SR22 in Tennessee:

  • Type Action 04 – if you cause damages or bodily injuries, but fail to cover the charges;
  • Type Action 06 – unsatisfactory judgment resulting from civil judgments;
  • Type Action 01 & 02 – if you’ve had your license revoked.

The above also applies to drivers under mandatory insurance supervision and those who have violated insurance regulations three times or more.

Be aware that the state of Tennessee does not issue notifications for drivers in violation of mandatory insurance laws. It is the responsibility of the driver and their insurer to make sure current laws are observed. The minimum amounts for coverage in Tennessee are $25,000 per person for bodily injuries, $50,000 for the whole accident, and $10,000 for property damage.

Filing for the SR22 in Tennessee follows standard procedures. First, you need to file the SR22 with your insurance provider and pay the processing fee, which will vary from one insurer to the next. The agency will then forward your application to the Department of Commerce and Insurance. When they release the SR22, they will also send you a letter of notification. You need to maintain this proof of future financial responsibility for 36 months and renew it at least 15 days before it expires throughout this time.

Find full information about the SR22 from the Tennessee DMV here.


The state of Texas mandates drivers to take out an SR-22 when they’ve been found guilty of a DUI, driving under the influence of drugs, or have been driving without insurance for the second time in a limited span of time. Should the DPS learn that a driver-owner has failed to maintain the SR22 for the requisite amount of time, they will re-suspend their driving privileges, as well as the vehicle registration.

In Texas, the DPS (Department of Public Safety) keeps SR22 certificates on file, to attest that you have at least minimum auto coverage liability. The state of Texas requires motorists to maintain this form for at least 2 years since the motorist’s driving privileges have been suspended, according to Texas Transportation Code 601.506. You can find the full list of reasons to have your motorists’ privileges suspended in Texas at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/.


In Utah, there’s a no-fault insurance system in place, which prevents insurance fraud and also speeds up the compensation process in the case of an accident. At-fault drivers will usually have to pay a higher risk premium. Injured drivers in Utah can sue for up to $2,000 in pain and suffering damages, if the amount of money they spend on medical bills exceeds that threshold. The minimum coverage limits in Utah are $ for bodily injury liability for a single person, $ for the whole crash, and $ for property damage.

In Utah, if you fail to provide insurance (owner or operator), you risk to pay fines for this Class B misdemeanor. First offenders stand to lose $400 in penalties, while repeat offenders can shell out $1,000 for the second and subsequent offenses within three years. To apply for having your driving privileges reinstated, you will need:

  • The vehicle’s registration card/title;
  • Proof of identity;
  • SR-22 form from a licensed insurer (agency or agent);
  • Auto insurance policy and binder;
  • Auto insurance declaration or card.

The reinstatement fee in Utah is $100. You need to maintain your SR22 for 3 years in Utah. The Utah DPS provides information free of charge online, here, as well as at 1-800-DMV-UTAH (toll-free).


Vermont also mandates that drivers who are found operating a motor vehicle without insurance be relieved of their driving privileges. An SR-22, officially referred to as Financial Responsibility Insurance, must be maintained for 36 months in Vermont. A failure to do so, by allowing the SR-22 to expire, without renewing it, will result in another suspension of your driving privileges. It’s important to note that the state of Vermont only accepts SR22 insurance forms filed through an insurance agency, and not an insurance broker.

You can access legal information from the Vermont DMV at this address.


Proof of future financial responsibility in Virginia comes under two forms:

  • The SR22/SR26. You will require one of these two documents if you were found driving without insurance, failed to satisfy judgments, previously forged your insurance, killed someone while driving, committed a felony under motor vehicle laws, failed to disclose your identity after involved in a car crash with human victims, or driving without a license (repeat offenders). The limits for such coverage are $25,000 for bodily injury (one person), $50,000 (the entire crash), and $20,000 for property damage.
  • The FR44. This form is released for reinstating driving privileges in the case of alcohol related offences such as DUIs, and driving without a license as a juvenile. The amounts covered are double the limits of the SR22 as outlined above.

Find the official information from the Virginia DMV here.


In order to make proof of future financial responsibility in Washington, you can opt for any of these 2 choices:

  • Bring in a certificate of deposit. This needs to be issued by either the Washington State Treasurer, or the state’s Department of Licensing.
  • Bring in a liability bond. These are released by surety/bonding companies licensed in the state.

Both documents need to prove you are good to pay, in the case of a future accident or other moving violation. They both need to cover a minimum amount of $60,000 and are required when you’ve been found driving without insurance, were involved in an accident, or failed to pay liability. You will need to maintain this proof for at least 3 years, in most cases.

Find the official information from the state of Washington at this page.


To apply for SR22 insurance in Wisconsin, you’ll need the appropriate documentation to prove your name, identity, date of birth, citizenship, state residency, Social Security Number, and name change (if applicable). According to new federal laws, you’ll also need to make proof of your REAL ID. Also required is proof that you’ve voluntarily surrendered your driver license temporarily, as well as car insurance proof.

Regulations on whether you need to bring SR22 insurance proof, on how long you need to file, and on whether your insurance proof is already on record with state authorities depend on a case-by-case basis. You can check here to find out information on all of the above.

For full information, you can email the Driver Information Section of the Wisconsin DMV, or call at (608) 264-7447. Alternatively, check out this page.

Can I get non-owner SR22 insurance?

Not only can you get non-owner SR22 (also known by the name of Operator SR22 in most states), but it might actually be a good idea. It’s often the case that people who get their drivers’ license suspended get rid of their cars to save some money. Others never had regular access to a car in the first place, while others simply want their driving privileges back, for professional reasons, or for any other purpose.

Non-owner SR22 insurance tends to be cheaper than the similar proof of financial responsibility for owners. It’s a good idea to purchase it, if you’re looking to invest minimal costs, but also regain your license. To find out the cost of non-owner SR22 insurance, you need to check out the minimum coverage requirements in your state.

In case you’re considering filing for non-owners’ SR22 insurance, you need to bear the following important points in mind:

  • Not only can you not own a car, but there also can’t be any other accessible cars in your household. No, not even if you don’t own them yourself.
  • You’re not eligible for non-owner SR22 insurance if you have an IID requirement.

How can I get SR22 motorcycle insurance?

The short answer is “yes, of course”. Although most people think of car and truck drivers when they consider SR22 insurance, it’s no less true that motorcyclist and scooter drivers are also high-risk drivers. Perhaps even more so than car drivers, actually!

There’s any number of reasons for which you are considering to shop for SR22 insurance for your motorcycle. Most of them are mandated: you have too many driving license points, you failed to pay child support in full and on time, you were found driving without a license, or committed a DUI violation. Whatever your reasons, the point is to shop around before signing on for any one type of motorcycle SR22 insurance.

Be aware that several factors will weigh in on the cost of your SR22. These obviously include your place of residence, as well as your previous driving record. However, they also take into account your age and the type of bike you ride. A Honda CBR 600 will be more difficult and costly to insure than a Honda Shadow. Yes, they may both be Honda’s, but while the former is a higher-risk sports bike, the second one is a casual cruiser. In terms of how much you can expect to spend, it all depends on your state’s minimum required levels of insurance.

How long do I need SR22 insurance?

As evidenced by the list of requirements by state, in most cases the minimum span for SR22 insurance is 36 months. However, in some states it can go up to 5 years. Conversely, in some cases, judges can order a cutback on your SR22 requirements. Finally, it’s important to keep your SR22 active throughout that time. Lapses in SR22 insurance can result in grave consequences, like having your registration suspended. In most states, you need to renew your SR22 15 days before it expires.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *